18 November 2003

All I Want For Christmas

The holidays are almost upon us, and, if you're like me, you've already begun picking out what you'd like to give and recieve this season. Yea, it's all about the gesture, but tell that to the person whose gifts are returned before they are even opened (no, not me). If people would just say what they want, this whole process would be a lot smoother. Christmas lists were so much easier when we were kids:
1. My Pretty Pony - the pink unicorn with the purple hair
2. Transformers (don't ask...I still love them.)
3. E-Z Bake oven to replace the one we broke last year.

Now, I can't really tell people what I want:
1. Money - checks or cash only people, unless you're my dad and you get good gift certificates
2. Clothes - but only if my Dad is buying them because he's got good taste
3. Money - this time only cash.

It's not like having a list has become taboo or anything, it's just that being honest about it has. Kids have no shame, so writing down a million toys and expecting to get every one of them is not an issue to them. Actually handing over a list containing items such as financial freedom, car, or vacation, with a straight face, is a little more challenging. It doesn't have to be that way. So, this holiday season, give the gift of honesty. Tell them you just want cash because they'd be too embarassed to get you what you really want.

No comments: