01 November 2004

What's your name again?

I learned a valuable lesson this past weekend...reunions suck.

Sure, its probably the only opportunity to find out what's going on with the people you lived with freshman year, but didn't talk to much after that, but, really, why start communications now. Its also that time when people really want to show off where they are in life. I hate talking about what I do, what I've done, and frankly, I have no clue where I am in life.

How many conversations began like this:

Other random alum: Renee, right?
Renee: Yea! So good to see you!
ORA: Yea, what are you doing now?
Renee: Oh...I'm an attorney.
ORA: Oh.

Renee: So, how have you been?

One person actually said, "Oh...were you even pre-law in college?"
What the hell does that mean?

Another popular conversation went much like this:

Renee: Oh my gosh! How are you?
ORA: I'm (engaged, married, pregnant)!
Renee: Great! Congratulations!

I can only assume that being engaged, married, or pregnant is a state of mind much like happy, sad, or hating life.

At the end of the day, all I really wanted was a chance for all of my friends to get together...to see the people I loved in college and have a chance to catch up. Instead, I spent a lot of time explaining to people who don't know my last name how I, the ex-president of the community service organization, became a corporate lawyer or talking to people whose names I can't remember about their recent trips to California. If I went five years without hearing how you're doing, that might be a sign.

Someone remind me of this when the 10 year rolls around.

No comments: