07 November 2005

Lazy Ass

I'm constantly amazed at how lazy people are. Recently, however, I've realized that there are two kinds of lazy people. The first is the group who acknowledges their laziness, stops exercising, and lies on the couch all day. The second group, and the ones who really get me, are the ones who think they can get in shape while lying on the couch all day. I can't blame them for coming up with this idea on their own.

I saw an infomercial the other day discussing how excercising would be so much better if you didn't really have to do anything. An interesting concept indeed, but can it work? I decided to research one of these miracle machines, the abtronic (my favorite because it requires the least amount of work by the user). The commercial claims that if you strap it on for 10 minutes your body will feel like it's done 600 situps (this of course begs the question why you really need to do 600 situps, but whatever). Upon first hearing this absurd claim, I thought, "I would be shocked if this works"...I got the shocked part right. According to several reports in the US and Canada, those who have tried this machine have not only failed to obtain a noticeable 6-pack like the people on the commercial (a surprising result), but instead have noticed an unpleasant feeling resulting from the several small electric shocks the machine uses to make your muscles contract in a situp-like manner. This seems a bit extreme to me...I like watching television as much as the next guy and I wouldn't mind having abs of steel, but electrical shock seems like an extreme way to avoid moving from the sofa.

No comments: