11 November 2005

Times are a Changin'

I love my neighborhood. It's cute, my neighbors are friendly, and it provides me with lots of stories for my blog.

While taking a leisurely walk to Safeway the other morning, I ran into the man who walks his two dogs every day while drinking coffee and saying hello to everyone on the street. We've spoken before, once or twice, but never for too long. I could tell by the look in his eye that that was all about to change. He stopped me and asked me if I was working that day. No, I said, I am going away for the weekend. Where are you headed, he asked. Back east, I replied. Oh, is that where you're from, he inquired. No, I answered. There was a short pause and then he took the conversation somewhere somewhat unexpected.

The Man: I wouldn't be surprised. You have perfect English and a perfect attitude.
I wanted to add, "for a Black person" for him, but thought it might be rude and would tarnish that "perfect attitude" of mine.
Me: Thanks.
TM: It is interesting that it wasn't too long ago that Blacks and Whites couldn't marry...but when they did they had some beautiful children, like Halle Barry. Now, things are different
Me: (I wasn't sure if the "things are different" comment referred to the marriage thing or the beauty of mixed babies, but I thought it best to just go with it. I also wasn't sure if the perfect English comment and the mixed marriages comments were related, like perhaps I was the product of one of those mixed marriages having received my dark skin from one parent and my perfect English from another, but again, I thought I should just go with it.) Uh, yeah.
TM: Bye.
I know what you're thinking, "that's it?" I was thinking the same, but I guess it was. He had nothing more for me about race relations, mixed babies, or the nice way in which I spoke the English language. So, we just said goodbye and I made my way to Safeway.

No comments: